The holiday season means sugary sweets and cozy nights on the couch. And while these treats can get you in the holiday spirit, they may not be the best option for weight management and bone health. Fortunately, by finding balance and prioritizing a healthy lifestyle this season, you can keep your bones strong and prevent common sports injuries.
How Can Weight Management Improve Bone Health?
While holiday parties and extra sweets can make weight management more difficult this time of year, it isn’t impossible. Incorporating exercise and nutritious meals into your day can help keep the extra weight off and boost your bone health. By prioritizing weight management, you can:
- Reduce Fracture Risk: Both obesity and caloric restriction can increase your risk of fracture, so it’s important to find a healthy middle ground. Exercising and eating a nutritious diet can help offset this risk, so you can keep your bones strong.
- Prevent Bone Loss: Weight-bearing exercises like jogging, hiking, weight training, and team sports can strengthen the bones and preserve bone density over time. Incorporating these types of activities into your routine will help you maintain a healthy lifestyle and focus on sports injury prevention.
- Strengthen Muscles: Exercising regularly will strengthen your muscles. And since your muscles support your joints, tendons, and ligaments, you can prevent issues like orthopedic knee injuries.
- Add Nutrients: Eating for weight management means filling your plate with vegetables, fruits, proteins, and healthy fats. The nutrients in these foods, especially vitamin D and calcium, are key to a bone-healthy diet.
- Avoid Unhealthy Habits: When you’re focusing on weight management and an overall healthy lifestyle, you’ll likely avoid unhealthy habits like smoking and drinking excess alcohol. Fortunately, kicking these habits can also preserve bone mineral density.
Healthy weight loss can be helpful for bone health, but it’s important to avoid a low calorie diet. A medical professional can help design a weight loss plan to support your wellness needs.
How Else Can You Support Bone Health?
While weight management and exercise are key for bone health, there are other important factors to consider as well. Seeing your doctor for regular checkups can help you stay in tune with your bone health. They will identify your risk factors for conditions like osteoporosis and provide tips for taking care of your bones. Your doctor may also recommend that you take a supplement to prevent bone loss.
It’s also important to seek treatment for injuries quickly. Ignoring a sprain, strain, or hairline fracture can make the injury worse, making healing more challenging. Visiting a sport injury urgent care clinic whenever you suspect an injury will ensure that you receive the treatment you need.
Excellent bone health means having the right healthcare providers on your side, and the team at Sport Ortho Urgent Care is here for you this holiday season. As the urgent care East Nashville trusts, we’re proud to offer sports injury diagnostics and treatment in Hendersonville, Mt. Juliet, and Murfreesboro, TN. We accept patients on a walk-in basis at all of our locations, but you are also welcome to make an appointment online or by calling us today.